A chatroom can be of two different types as explained below.
Public chatroom (group chat)
In a group chatroom, the messages sent by an attendee/booth visitor or booth rep can be seen by all of the users present in the chatroom. Hence, all the users of the chatroom can respond to an attendee’s or a booth representative’s message.
This is a one-on-one chatroom where the message sent by the sender can only be viewed by a specific receiver. Private chat can be initiated between:
- exhibitor/booth representative and attendee: it can have two cases.
- a booth representative can initiate a direct chat with an attendee
- an attendee can initiate a direct chat with a booth representative
- If you want only the booth reps to initiate a chat with attendees and not vice versa. You can implement this restriction by enabling the option of Attendees cannot start a DM with Reps from the backend at the path: Event Settings -> Chat Settings.
- one attendee and another attendee: Event attendees can also be allowed or restricted to start a one-on-one/direct chat with each other. To configure this feature, go to Event Settings -> Chat Settings -> enable/disable the option of Allow attendees to start chat with each other, as per requirement.
If this option is disabled, the attendees will not be able to start a chat with each other, although the names of other attendees will still be visible in the Online Users section.
- one exhibitor/booth representative and another exhibitor/booth representative: if you want one booth representative to start a private chat with a booth representative of another booth, then you have to enable the following options at the path: Event Settings -> Chat Settings.
- Display Booth Online Users List for Reps
- Reps can see 'Chat' button on all booths
In a chatroom text area, a booth rep and an attendee can be distinguished by the icon colors. It can have two colors:
- Grey: for attendees.
- Blue: for booth reps.
To learn more about public/private chatroom features, please click here.